Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Fuji Elemental Gi Review

Hello All!

Fuji sent me their new Elemental gi to review. Read below for my thoughts as I put it through the paces.

Just out of the package!
Newly arrived



















The Essentials
Elemental
·      Lightweight Pearl Weave (1 lbs & 10 oz; 743 g) ; My best estimate is 325 - 350 GSM
·      Rubber collar with a cotton/poly blend body
·      Cotton pants (13 oz; 380 g)
·      Bungee cord drawstring (is there any other type at this point?)
·      Total gi weight: 2 lbs & 7 oz; 1123 g

For comparison sake:
Sekai:
·      Cotton gi top, pearl weave (2 lbs & 6 oz; 1088g); My best estimate is 450 -500 GSM
·      Rip stop pants (1 lbs & 2 oz; 501g)
·      Bungee cord drawstring
·      Total gi weight: 3 lbs & 8 oz; 1589 g

Suparaito:
·      Cotton gi top, pearl weave (1 lbs & 15 oz; 889 g); My best estimate 400 -425 GSM
·      Collar material is rip stop
·      Rip stop pants (1 lbs & 2.5 oz; 523 g)
·      Bungee cord drawstring
·      Total gi weight: 3 lbs & 1.5 oz; 1412 g

*Confused as to how a gram can be visually quantified? Any U.S. minted bill is about 1 gram. Are you at the strip club with $50 in $1 bills? You got 50 grams in your hand. Strippers not your thing? At 14% saturation, you would find about 45-55 grains of rice in a gram.

About 1g of rice
* A couple notes on gi weights: 1) The gis were washed and line dried for 48 hours before weighing. They felt dry to the touch upon weighing, though I am sure the Iowa climate could account for a shift in moisture retention that could change the measured weight of the gi. 2) I could not find a GSM (Grams per Square Meter) for any of the jackets. However, I did have one for another A2 Fuji. I assumed they all used about the same amount of material. I got the weight on the older A2/divided it by the GSM and came up with 2.2127 meters of fabric. I then used this number to get the GSM estimates for all 3 jackets. 3) Finally, I have no idea how much dyeing fabric increases weight. It may be that the dye in a black gi adds to the overall weight of the gi (resulting in a heavier black or blue gi than a white gi)…no clue.  I mention this because it is a really rough estimate. So, interpret findings with a grain of salt.

Photos of Sekai (blue), Suparatio (black), and Elemental (white) components. 
Suparatio cuff measurement
Elemental cuff measurement 

Sekai wrist measurement
Stigmata wine stopper used to measure

Collar comparison
Fabric width comparisons


Sleeve cuff comparison
Inside-out arm of jacket comparison

Skirt stitching and vent comparison
Pant logo comparison

Another shot of pant logo
Top of pants comparison
Sekai crotch
Elemental crotch
Suparatio crotch
Fit
Jacket
One of the reasons I appreciate a Fuji gi is their consistent fit. I have owned a few different models of their gis and have been an A2 in all versions (I am 5’8, 165 pounds, 71” wingspan and have a longer torso than legs). The elemental I received is also an A2 and it fits real nice. You will notice that the Elemental sleeve hits just above my writs (as do the Sekai and Suparatio) and the skirt hits in the middle of under-developed glutes (same with Suparatio and Sekai). Through my shoulders and back the gi is a little tighter than my Sekai and about the same as the Suparatio. It is far less tight than my Tatami Estilo 5.0. I am fine with added tightness, as the gi is supposed to be for competition. Range of motion in the Elemental is great! I have had no issues with gripping, twisting, or turning. The opening of the wrist is a little bigger than the Suparatio and Sekai.



Video description of jacket

Pants
The fit of the Elemental pants are remarkably similar to the Sekai and Suparatio. I point this out because the Elemental pants are cotton and the Sekai and Suparatio pants are rip stop. Obviously, the feel of the pants are markedly different. The Elemental pants are made from softer cotton, and not exceptionally rough. The downside of cotton pants is that they tend to get water (sweat) logged during training when heavy sweating occurs. These pants are pretty light cotton. They still get a little baggy/soggy, but nothing compared to my Estilo 5.0 pants or my old Judo gis. As far as cotton gi pants go, they are among the best I have owned. I prefer rip stop (Sekai and Suparatio are the best I have found), but if you have to go cotton, these are some of the better pants you could get.

Video description of pants

Aesthetic
My understanding is that Fuji was going with a more “classic” muted look with this gi. The gi I received is white/off white with grey accents. There is also a blue with cobalt accents (LOL, I am color-blind, but I think it is cobalt). I really dig the look. The jacket says “Fuji” on the left shoulder and the Fuji emblem on the right shoulder. The gi model “Elemental” is written on the bottom of the left lapel. The pants have the Fuji emblem on the left calf. Inside the gi on the skirt taping, the definition of “Elemental” is written. Personally, the look of the Elemental is my favorite of the three gis. Like I have stated before, I like minimalism (I appreciate there is not rubber map, a la the Sekai). To my knowledge, the gi is IBJJF legal.

Durability
I have now rolled and drilled in the Elemental three times and washed it six times. There are no pulled threads, discolorations, or tearing. My Fuji gis have been amazingly durable, and I have no doubt this one will last awhile. This is the first gi I have owned that has a cotton/poly blend jacket. The fabric seems a little more stretchy (think yoga pants, not jeans), and it dries much faster than my other gis. I did a fairly extensive search of the interwebs and could not find a company that outright said they sold a cotton/poly gi top. Tatami sells a “high tech weave” that appears to be something similar to a cotton/poly blend. I did find some judo gis that were cotton/poly. I could not find any complaints on the longevity of those gis. The seams are reinforced, as are the cuffs and skirt. The cotton pants feel sturdy and are reinforced in the usual areas. I am fairly confident this gi will have a longevity that one would expect from a $130 gi, if not better.

*Full disclosure: I love rip stop. That being said, it does rip, usually at stitching points. The cotton twill pants I have owned have held up really well. So, the durability of cotton twill is typically not an issue. I just like the feel and temperature control of rip stop.

Performance
The Elemental is light, stays close to the body, and has great range of motion. The collar is not overly hard to grip, but also not too easy to manipulate. I have rolled in the gi for about 2.5 hours and have yet to be choked. So, collar thinness is not an issue. I roll with several guys that love to grab pant cuffs, usually on the inside, which is illegal in IBJJF. I point this out and they keep doing it. One day I will disqualify them mid-roll and walk away with my arms raised. The pants have not been overly easy to grab, they have not fallen down while rolling and the crotch has not ripped out (I am fairly flexible and have had this happen to pants). I would happily wear the Elemental in a tournament. I have competed in a Sekai for the last three years and have made weight every time. However, the new Elemental is about one pound (466 grams) lighter. That is like a whole box of Cheez-Its….bend your mind around that one next time you are cutting weight.
John trying the Elemental out.

Another video of John testing out the Elemental 

I also had John (a blue belt at our club) test out the Elemental. A quick synopsis of his comments:

Positives
  • Fit was great
  • Weight of top
  • Breathability of fabric
Negatives
  • Cotton pants (he is a Suparatio guy)
Overall
The Elemental is super-light, has a clean look to it and possesses all indications of a durable, quality gi. At full price, the Elemental runs $129, which puts it on the cheaper end of other competition quality ultra-lights (Tatami Estilo leve - $149, Storm Typhoon Ultra lite - $159; War tribe Helium - $169; Hypnotik Feather Lyte - $109, Atama Ultra light - $149). Though I have not tested all of these brands, I would be confident in suggesting the Elemental to anyone at my club in need of a light competition gi.  Also, Fuji is pretty consistent in running sales for their gear. I have purchased both of my Sekais for $100 during their Christmas sale. If you are strapped for cash, know that a sale is probably around the corner.


Where does the Elemental fit into Fuji’s gi lineup? It excels as an ultra-light competition gi. It is lighter and a little cheaper than the Sekai ($169) and Suparatio ($134). That being said, if you wanted a light gi that could be used to train in for multiple days of the week, I would suggest the Suparatio. If you wanted a competition gi that was on the lighter side and could be used for everyday training, I would suggest the Sekai. The Elemental is best served as a gi trained in once a week and/or used for tournaments where weighing in with a gi is required. I am glad that I was able to add it to my rotation.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review and your time doing it. I’m considering this GI and this was very helpful.
    I truely appriciate the scientific application of the wine stopper.

    ReplyDelete